Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Who would ever think that so much went on in the soul of a young girl? "


So I read The Diary of Anne Frank when I was in grade school. I don't know why, but my adolescent mind never truly showed interest or appreciation towards it. But then I ran across a quote by Anne a few days ago and it really took hold of my mind and heart. I came to realize just how special of a girl she was. Not only was she a victim of one of the most horrid events in modern history but, she also was one of the greatest intellects of the 21st century. After reading up on her and some of her work, I really began to grieve the loss of such a beautiful mind. She possessed such a kind and forgiving demeanor. It is remarkable that a girl of 15 wrote such insightful things. It's a shame that the world would never get the chance to watch her grow up. But then again in a way her youth and innocence is frozen in time, and there is just something so eerie and wondrous about it.

So without further adieu here are some of her thoughts:

"I don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that still remains."

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."

"I still believe, in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart."

"Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction."

"Boys will be boys. And even that wouldn't matter if only we could prevent girls from being girls."

"No one has ever become poor by giving."

No comments: